One more collection of amazing moments of Short-toed Eagles’ nesting life in Croatia are brought to your attention. Please, note: both mates of that pair are coloured very typically for their sexes. This excellent gallery of pictures and videos taken by a nature photographer Ante Karanušić can be viewed on his site.
Posts tagged ‘chick’
Within the framework of the Turjánvidék LIFE project, which aims the preservation of habitats of such species as the endangered Hungarian Meadow Viper (Vipera ursinii rakosiensis), two Ecotone GPS-GSM trackers were bought in 2016. The main aim was to follow the life of a Short-toed Eagle pair residing close to and hunting regularly on viper habitats. Since the capture of the adult male failed in 2017, experts marked the offspring of this pair with the transmitter /map/. The chick was named Örs, an ancient Hungarian name meaning «human», «man» or «hero» but also a name of a Hungarian tribe from ancient times.
The other transmitter was deployed on a repatriated individual in 2016, which died two months later in Poland. Its tracks are not available on the aforementioned website yet, however, another post will appear here if so.
Short videos representing scenes of life of Short-toed Eagles in Northern Ukraine have been compiled from those that were shot in previous year. Also, you can view here a few tables containing statistical data collected in the region within 2004-2016 years and processed to a certain extent. They include: general breeding success, frequency of nesting tree change, distances between two nesting trees occupied by one pair in two consecutive seasons and between all nesting trees at the same breeding sites, nesting tree diameter, nest height, mean nest departure dates, reproduction rate of certain pairs.
These amazing pictures and text were published in the latest La Plume du Circaète. Few of them were included in the previous galleries of Bernard Joubert on our site. Then, several new photos taken in March 2016 have been added and described by the author. Many thanks to him for sharing the pictures and especially for detailed comments on them, also to Ferenc and Gábor Papp for their kind help in the translation!
Moments of life
During these 20 years, while we have been following the Short-toed Eagles, we could obtain numerous pictures taken in ideal conditions, some of which we later published, however, I never played with the thought seriously that I should take advantage of it since photography is very laborious and has little use in conservation.
Nevertheless, in 2010, I decided that I would give it a try at a nest site where I could do it without any disturbance. In January, I built a hide, which I dug in the ground about twenty metres from the nest. I made a frame of beech and covered it with smaller pine branches. This nest site seemed to attract this particular pair, they visited it during last autumn several times.
I made myself comfortable in the hide in the first days of March, not knowing how remarkable moments and wonderful events of the everyday life I would experience soon.
I used a quite mediocre Nikon camera with 110 mm equivalent focus length*, but still I could record their whole breeding cycle except incubation without being noticed by them.
I would like to share a few pictures…
* – also, photos taken with Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 are included.
• М. В. Патрикеев, 2008 – О кормлении птенца змееяда Circaetus gallicus [Notes about feeding a chick of Short-toed Eagle] // Русский орнитологический журнал, Том 17, Экспресс-выпуск 419: 765-766. (Ru) /map/. The first publication: Патрикеев М.В., 1988 – О кормлении птенца змееяда // Тез. докл. 12-й Прибалт. орнитол. конф. Вильнюс: 175-176.
• В. С. Жуков, 2012 – Змееяд Circaetus gallicus, могильник Aquila heliaca и другие редкие птицы на севере Новосибирской области [Short-toed Eagle, Imperial Eagle and other rare birds in the north of Novosibirsk Region] // Русский орнитологический журнал, Том 21, Экспресс-выпуск 792: 2149-2161. (Ru) /map/.
• Г. В. Линдеман, 2013 – Змееяд Circaetus gallicus в Волжско-Уральском междуречье [Short-toed Eagle in a region between the Volga and the Ural Rivers] // Русский орнитологический журнал, Том 22, Экспресс-выпуск 839: 154-155. (Ru) /map/. The first publication: Линдеман Г.В. 1986 – Краткие сообщения о змееяде (Уральская область) // Редкие животные Казахстана. Алма-Ата: 111-112.
Also please pay attention to the short text regarding the first observation of Short-toed Eagle in Eastern Trans-Baikal:
• О. А. Горошко, 2012 – Первая встреча змееяда Circaetus gallicus (Gmelin, 1788) в Восточном Забайкалье [The first record of Short-toed Eagle in Eastern Trans-Baikal Region] // Байкальский зоологический журнал, n° 3 (11): С. 135. (Ru) /map/.
Among many videos of Short-toed Eagles which have appeared on-line last years this one is certainly outstanding. The five-minute video is uploaded by Ezio Giuliano and shows scenes of Short-toed Eagles’ nest life. Just enjoy various beautiful moments of a parental care of the eaglet. Also you can view it with the comments directly on YouTube.
These next photos were recently recieved from Vincenzo. All of them are taken in Maremma Regional Park /map/. 4 Short-toed Eagle nests are controlled in the Park this year. The season promises to be successful. You can view other Vincenzo’s photos on the Flickr gallery.