This online database contains observations of birds in Western and Central Africa, including many records of Short-toed Eagles in Niger and Chad, i.e. in the traditional wintering area of the eagles from Europe and the Middle East. All records are linked to the map, some of them has photos taken in the wild, exporting data to MS Excel is available.
Posts tagged ‘observation’
• Arno IZAAKS, 2007 – Ruim vijf weken een Slangenarend Circaetus gallicus in de duinen van Meyendel (En) [More than five weeks an ST Eagle resided in the dunes of Meyendel] // De Takkeling, Vol. 15, No. 2: pp. 114-116. – (Nl).
• Chris VAN DEURSEN, 2010 – Slangenarend waarnemingen (Circaetus gallicus) in de regio [Observations of Short-toed Snake Eagle in the region] // Fitis, Vol. 46, No. 3: pp. 125-126. – (Nl).
• Willem VAN MANEN & Rob G. BIJLSMA, 2017 – Slangenarenden Circaetus gallicus in Nederland: voorschot op een broedgeval (En) [Short-toed Snake Eagle in the Netherlands: progress toward breeding attempt] // De Takkeling, Vol. 25, No. 3: pp. 224-241. – (Nl).
All documents with mentions of STE can be found using the site search.
Askar Isabekov has merged data from different birdwatching websites on the Birds of Northern Eurasia portal. This database allows to monitor appearing new pictures and observations of various bird species in several countries of Northern Eurasia, including Short-toed Eagles. At least 3 out of currently 12 regional sites were mentioned on HoverOverUs before.
This video footage was taken by Vince Schwartz. It presents the Short-toed Eagle pair nesting in the Visegrád Hills /map/ as well as the hunting of the male of an immature pair settled in the neighbouring Pilis Hills /map/ in 2018.
Please, read the more detailed explanation by the author:
• Vince SCHWARTZ, 2018 – Nesting of Short-toed Eagles in the Visegrád Hills in 2015-2018 // short-toed-eagle.net (En).
Many thanks to Gábor Papp for his kind help in preparing this post!
The total scale of collected data in the journal of the ST Eagle national monitoring program in France is amazing and deserves special attention (Fr):
• Cahier de la surveillance 2017. Circaète Jean-le-Blanc Circaetus gallicus [Journal of the Short-toed Eagle monitoring in 2017] // short-toed-eagle.net.
Thanks a lot to Renaud Nadal for sharing that remarkable review!
• Raphaël ARLETTAZ, Stéphane METTAZ & Klaus AGTEN, 2018 – Première nidification réussie du Circaète Jean-le-Blanc Circaetus gallicus en Suisse romande [The first successful nesting of Short-toed Eagle in Romandy] // Nos Oiseaux 65/3, N° 533: pp. 175-179. – (Fr).
The article is available on the University of Bern website.
• Henry DE LESTANVILLE, 2018 – Stationnement de deux Circaètes Jean-le-blanc Circaetus gallicus à Brassoir en 2016 [Staying of two Short-toed Eagles at Brassoir in 2016] // Avocette, 42 (1) – Revue naturaliste de Picardie Nature: pp. 3-8. – (Fr).
An impressive number of ST Eagles migrating at Sarimazi, Southern Turkey /map/, in autumn 2018 is reported on the Egyptian Vulture New LIFE site: 10853. This raises a lot of questions about real strength of their streams from Eastern Europe. Many thanks to Gábor Papp for sharing!