News from Hérault
News from Hérault
This online database contains observations of birds in Western and Central Africa, including many records of Short-toed Eagles in Niger and Chad, i.e. in the traditional wintering area of the eagles from Europe and the Middle East. All records are linked to the map, some of them has photos taken in the wild, exporting data to MS Excel is available.
• Arno IZAAKS, 2007 – Ruim vijf weken een Slangenarend Circaetus gallicus in de duinen van Meyendel (En) [More than five weeks an ST Eagle resided in the dunes of Meyendel] // De Takkeling, Vol. 15, No. 2: pp. 114-116. – (Nl).
• Chris VAN DEURSEN, 2010 – Slangenarend waarnemingen (Circaetus gallicus) in de regio [Observations of Short-toed Snake Eagle in the region] // Fitis, Vol. 46, No. 3: pp. 125-126. – (Nl).
• Willem VAN MANEN & Rob G. BIJLSMA, 2017 – Slangenarenden Circaetus gallicus in Nederland: voorschot op een broedgeval (En) [Short-toed Snake Eagle in the Netherlands: progress toward breeding attempt] // De Takkeling, Vol. 25, No. 3: pp. 224-241. – (Nl).
All documents with mentions of STE can be found using the site search.
Askar Isabekov has merged data from different birdwatching websites on the Birds of Northern Eurasia portal. This database allows to monitor appearing new pictures and observations of various bird species in several countries of Northern Eurasia, including Short-toed Eagles. At least 3 out of currently 12 regional sites were mentioned on HoverOverUs before.
The authors of the following papers studied Short-toed Eagles among other Raptors. Here are the results of those comparative studies focused on monitoring of migrating birds and on distribution constraints:
• J.L. TELLERÍA, G. FANDOS, E. TENA, R. CARBONELL, A. ONRUBIA, A. QNINBA, Á. RAMÍREZ, 2018 – Constraints on raptor distribution at the southwestern boundary of the Palaearctic: implications for conservation // Biodiversity and Conservation: pp. 1-17. (En).
• Raphaël ARLETTAZ, Stéphane METTAZ & Klaus AGTEN, 2018 – Première nidification réussie du Circaète Jean-le-Blanc Circaetus gallicus en Suisse romande [The first successful nesting of Short-toed Eagle in Romandy] // Nos Oiseaux 65/3, N° 533: pp. 175-179. – (Fr).
The article is available on the University of Bern website.
• Henry DE LESTANVILLE, 2018 – Stationnement de deux Circaètes Jean-le-blanc Circaetus gallicus à Brassoir en 2016 [Staying of two Short-toed Eagles at Brassoir in 2016] // Avocette, 42 (1) – Revue naturaliste de Picardie Nature: pp. 3-8. – (Fr).
An impressive number of ST Eagles migrating at Sarimazi, Southern Turkey /map/, in autumn 2018 is reported on the Egyptian Vulture New LIFE site: 10853. This raises a lot of questions about real strength of their streams from Eastern Europe. Many thanks to Gábor Papp for sharing!