The compilation of the annual gallery for 2017 has been finished. Photos taken in Northern Ukraine depict well-known and new individuals of the monitored pairs. Only 36 of thousands of pictures taken with the main purpose to regularly identify local Short-toed Eagles individually have been selected for the represented gallery.
Posts tagged ‘individual variation’
Compiling of the next annual gallery has been started, the gallery of photos taken in different regions of Northern Ukraine this year. Each Short-toed Eagle identified individually is indicated, as always, in captions by a letter and a year of the first representation in photo galleries on the site. The collection will be updated after the season.
Here is the next annual gallery of pictures taken in Kiev, Chernihiv and Sumy Regions of Northern Ukraine in 2016. Short-toed Eagles of local pairs monitored during more than 10 years are captured in them. All the birds are indicated in captions by a letter and a year of the first representation in photo galleries on our site, starting with A11 – the old, very striped and dark-spotted, rather small but aggressive female living in the Mizhrichynskyi Nature Park /map/.
The following post is dedicated to migrations of Short-toed Eagles of the Apennine Peninsula; Ugo Mellone summarizes research and observational data on the topic obtained at the moment:
• Ugo MELLONE, 2016 – Resolving the puzzle of Short-toed Eagle migration // www.bou.org.uk (En).
The previously described article is currently available to download:
• Ugo MELLONE, Giuseppe LUCIA, Egidio MALLÌA, Vicente URIOS, 2016 – Individual variation in orientation promotes a 3000-km latitudinal change in wintering grounds in a long-distance migratory raptor // Ibis. Accepted Author Manuscript. doi:10.1111/ibi.12401 – (En).
The following article has recently been accepted for publishing online. The abstract and description are available for free at the moment:
• Ugo MELLONE, Giuseppe LUCIA, Egidio MALLÌA, Vicente URIOS, 2016 – Individual variation in orientation promotes a 3000-km latitudinal change in wintering grounds in a long-distance migratory raptor // Ibis. Accepted Author Manuscript. doi:10.1111/ibi.12401 (En).
This video is a compilation of various short parts of the filming done in Northern Ukraine during the last year’s season from spring to fall. The shown moments of Short-toed Eagles’ life are provided with explanatory subtitles. The second part of the annual photo gallery contains descriptions of behaviour and habits of local STEs as well. Please see them under each presented picture.
• G. M. López-Iborra, R. Limiñana, D. Pavón and J. E. Martínez-Pérez, 2011 – Modelling the distribution of Short-toed Eagle (Circaetus gallicus) in semi-arid Mediterranean landscapes: identifying important explanatory variables and their implications for its conservation // European Journal of Wildlife Research, 57: pp. 83-93. – (En).
• B. Yáñez, A.-R. Muñoz, K. L. Bildstein, I. Newton, A. G. Toxopeus and M. Ferrer, 2014 – Individual Variation in the Over-Summering Areas of Immature Short-Toed Snake Eagles Circaetus gallicus // Acta Ornithologica, 49 (1): pp. 137-141. – (En).