Egidio the adult male Short-toed Eagle has been mentioned on our site since 2013. His chick named Michele in memory of Michele Panuccio was tagged with a transmitter as well in 2019. The young eagle has returned to the region of birth exactly like his father did it in his second calendar year. You can read a story of them on the Inglorious Bustards site:
Three young Short-toed Eagles were tagged with transmitters when they were yet in the nests in Hungary, Montenegro and Italy in 2019. The eagles now are 2cy immature birds, still being tracked and their migration behaviour is of great interest.
- Bese from Duna-Ipoly National Park /map/: details and the tracking map (Hu)(En).
- Kaja from Skadar Lake surroundings /map/: details are available on the Center for Protection and Research of Birds (CZIP) site and their Facebook page (Cnr).
- Michele – chick of Egidio from Regional Park Gallipoli Cognato /map/: details and tracking maps; news on the Medraptors Facebook page and on HoverOverUs (En).
• Rob G. BIJLSMA, 2019 – Gedrag en voedsel van Slangenarenden Circaetus gallicus in een potentieel broedgebied in Nederland [Behaviour and diet of Short-toed Snake Eagles in a potential breeding area in The Netherlands] // De Takkeling, Vol. 27, No. 3: pp. 210-226. – (Nl).
• Guilad FRIEDEMANN, Yossi LESHEM, Ido IZHAKI, 2016 – Multidimensional differentiation in foraging resource use and competitive interactions over nesting sites between two sympatric top predators – PhD.Thesis: 104 p. – (En).
The research continues and we are looking forward to new broadcasts, videos and papers shared by the Israeli team.
Kunal Kambli in his recent post for The Weather Channel writes that Short-toed Eagle is among the species whose populations in India have declined in last years according to:
• SoIB 2020. State of India’s Birds, 2020: Range, trends and conservation status. The SoIB Partnership. Pp 50. – (En).
Unlike others, the population of Short-toeds in India is settled. Although, there are no more or less exact evaluations of its current size, it is undoubtedly significant, and the species is under highest legal protection in the country. However, the short- and long-term negative trends are ascertained on the background of the global population trend estimated as stable. This is a kind of unpleasant surprise and causes of the local population decline deserve to be figured out and analysed in details.
• Wouter M.G. VANSTEELANT, Jasper WEHRMANN, Dries ENGELEN, Johannes JANSEN, Brecht VERHELST, Rafa BENJUMEA, Simon CAVAILLÈS, Triin KAASIKU, Bart HOEKSTRA & Folkert de BOER, 2019 – Accounting for differential migration strategies between age groups to monitor raptor population dynamics in the eastern Black Sea flyway // Ibis. doi:10.1111/ibi.12773 – (En).
Also, other publications are available at the BRC site.
On the eve of the New Year, let’s have a look at the following remarkable pictures taken by different photographers in India in 2019 which present dramatic and curious moments of Short-toed Eagles’ life:
Also, the authors of the shots tell stories behind them.