Ildikó Baranyi is a wildlife photographer living in Romania. A lot of excellent pictures of the local nature are presented on her website. Among them you can find a photo-gallery dedicated to Short-toed Eagles. The eagles in intermediate and adult plumage, clear signs of the plumage replacement can be seen in the photos. All of them were taken in Romania, including ones of a 2cy individual summering in Europe.
Posts tagged ‘summering’
• Henry DE LESTANVILLE, 2018 – Stationnement de deux Circaètes Jean-le-blanc Circaetus gallicus à Brassoir en 2016 [Staying of two Short-toed Eagles at Brassoir in 2016] // Avocette, 42 (1) – Revue naturaliste de Picardie Nature: pp. 3-8. – (Fr).
An impressive number of ST Eagles migrating at Sarimazi, Southern Turkey /map/, in autumn 2018 is reported on the Egyptian Vulture New LIFE site: 10853. This raises a lot of questions about real strength of their streams from Eastern Europe. Many thanks to Gábor Papp for sharing!
The following paper by Ivan Budinski established principles of the local Short-toed Eagle population monitoring program in Croatia:
• Ivan BUDINSKI, 2014 – Nacionalni program za monitoring zmijara (Circaetus gallicus) [National monitoring program for Short-toed Eagle] // Udruga BIOM. Zagreb: 10 p. – (Hr).
The author is one of Croatian researchers involved in the project of GPS tracking of Paško, the local young Short-toed Eagle. The map of the bird’s migratory movements is available online and regularly updated.
Several records of Short-toed Snake Eagle at the boundaries of the species range were reported this summer. Local birders informed about observation of an eagle again in the United Kingdom, at Ashdown Forest /map/ in East Sussex: it was seen several times since June 21st. Unfortunately, the age of that bird has remained unknown. Four years earlier, a young Short-toed Eagle had been observed at Morden Bog /map/, near Wareham.
At the opposite side of the range’s northern boundary, not far from Barnaul /map/, the administrative centre of the Altai Krai, a Short-toed Eagle was recorded this year too. Photos of it are available on the Birds of Siberia website. This time it was an adult bird, as well as the previous one observed in 2016. Also, this summer has brought many encounters with ST Eagles to birders in Kazakhstan, just enjoy the pictures.
We are continuing to collect various texts about Short-toed Eagle records and observations in various regions. Along records in modern online databases, they give the fuller patern of the species distribution and its evolution within recent decades:
• Giacomo SGORLON, 2016 – Estivazione del Biancone Circaetus gallicus nella pianura Veneta Orientale [Summering of a Short-toed Eagle in the Eastern Veneto plain] // Uccelli d’Italia, 41: 150-152. – (It) /map/.
• Lurent-Henry GÉE, 1989 – Séjour d’un Circaëte Jean-le-Blanc (Circaetus gallicus) en Meuse hutoise en juillet-aout 1988 [Stay of a Short-toed Eagle near the Huy City and the River Meuse in July-August 1988] // Aves, 26/3-4: 205-206. – (Fr) /map/.
• Wouter FAVEYTS, 2010 – 2010: een superjaar voor Slangenarend in Vlaanderen [2010 – a bumper year for Short-toed Eagle in Flanders] // Natuur.oriolus, 76(4): pp. 132-134. – . The article contains English and French summaries.
…and other texts:
• Dominique VERBELEN, 2014 – Slangenarend Jacobus zorgt voor spektakel in de Kalkense Meersen [Short-toed Eagle makes a show in Kalkense Meersen] // www.natuurpunt.be.
• G. M. López-Iborra, R. Limiñana, D. Pavón and J. E. Martínez-Pérez, 2011 – Modelling the distribution of Short-toed Eagle (Circaetus gallicus) in semi-arid Mediterranean landscapes: identifying important explanatory variables and their implications for its conservation // European Journal of Wildlife Research, 57: pp. 83-93. – (En).
• B. Yáñez, A.-R. Muñoz, K. L. Bildstein, I. Newton, A. G. Toxopeus and M. Ferrer, 2014 – Individual Variation in the Over-Summering Areas of Immature Short-Toed Snake Eagles Circaetus gallicus // Acta Ornithologica, 49 (1): pp. 137-141. – (En).