The same pair of Short-toed Eagles returned to their breeding site in the Judean Foothills /map/ yet on February 26th. They were choosing between nests where HD cameras had been installed. Finally, after period of nest building, rituals and mating, the female laid an egg on March 18th. From that moment on, the broadcast has started.
• Guilad FRIEDEMANN, Yossi LESHEM, Ido IZHAKI, 2016 – Multidimensional differentiation in foraging resource use and competitive interactions over nesting sites between two sympatric top predators – PhD.Thesis: 104 p. – (En).
The research continues and we are looking forward to new broadcasts, videos and papers shared by the Israeli team.
This video footage is made up of short parts shot in Northern Ukraine within 2017-2019 years during field observations at Short-toed Eagles’ breeding and hunting areas. The attention was aimed rather at various kinds of behaviour, including territorial conflicts, training of juveniles, individual behavioural features of particular birds.
Gábor Papp has collected and summarized information about colour-ringing of Short-toed Eagles in Hungary. The program has been continued for 7 years. The current numbers of ringed eagles, observations and photographing of the birds, prospects of new resightings are described in the communication:
• Gábor PAPP, 2019 – Results of the colour-ringing scheme of the Short-toed Eagle in Hungary between 2013 and 2019 // short-toed-eagle.net (En).
• Sameh DARAWSHI, Yossi LESHEM and Uzi MOTRO, 2017 – Aggregations and Dietary Changes of Short-toed Snake-Eagles: A New Phenomenon Associated with Modern Agriculture // Journal of Raptor Research, Vol. 51 (4): pp. 446-450. – (En).
• Luca BAGHINO, 2012 – Analisi dell’andamento delle popolazioni di biancone Circaetus gallicus e falco pecchiaiolo Pernis apivorus in migrazione nella ZPS “Beigua-Turchino” (GE) [Analysis of the evolution of the Short-toed Snake Eagle and Honey Buzzard populations in migration in the SPA “Beigua-Turchino”] // In Mezzavilla F., Scarton F., 2013. Conference: II Convegno Nazionale Rapaci Diurni e Notturni, At Treviso, Volume: Quaderni Faunistici – n. 3: pp. 133-138. – (En).
Egidio is an adult Short-toed Eagle male tagged with a satellite transmitter being a chick in the Regional Park Gallipoli Cognato /map/ in 2013. He successfully bred in 2019 and had his own fledgling. The juvenile Short-toed has been tagged with a transmitter as well and named Michele after late Michele Panuccio. The tracker was installed at the end of July by Michele’s friends, members of the Mediterranean Raptor Migration Network: Ugo Mellone, Nicolantonio Agostini, Giuseppe Lucia and Vicente Urios (MEDRAPTORS.org, MEDRAPTORS Facebook).
Current tracks of both the eagles are available on the project page.
Please read the obituary for Michele Panuccio:
• Nicolantonio AGOSTINI and Ugo MELLONE, 2019 – Obituary – Michele Panuccio, 1976-2019 // Avocetta, 43 (1): pp. 95-96. – (En).
News from Hérault