Ildikó Baranyi is a wildlife photographer living in Romania. A lot of excellent pictures of the local nature are presented on her website. Among them you can find a photo-gallery dedicated to Short-toed Eagles. The eagles in intermediate and adult plumage, clear signs of the plumage replacement can be seen in the photos. All of them were taken in Romania, including ones of a 2cy individual summering in Europe.
Posts tagged ‘plumage character’
This WordPress site is dedicated to identification of Raptors in the nature. The main idea was to provide easy uploading various pictures of birds of different age and sex, then, to describe and categorize them correctly, developing in this way a rich database for Raptors identification. All photos of any species can be found by one click, ones of Short-toed Snake Eagle as well. Descriptions of sex and age-related features are in English and Catalan.
• Konstantin PISMENNYI, 2018 – Le circaète dans le nord de l’Ukraine : état et avenir des populations, observations sur quelques couples et individus [The Short-toed Snake Eagle in Northern Ukraine, the population state and outlook, observations of certain pairs and individuals] // La Plume du Circaète n° 16-17: pp. 11-15.
One more collection of amazing moments of Short-toed Eagles’ nesting life in Croatia are brought to your attention. Please, note: both mates of that pair are coloured very typically for their sexes. This excellent gallery of pictures and videos taken by a nature photographer Ante Karanušić can be viewed on his site.
Currently, you can find online full texts of these two articles published in scientific journals in 2004 and 2005. The papers have already been mentioned on our site before:
• Paola SACCHI, Dominga SOGLIA, Sandra MAIONE, Giuseppe MENEGUZ, Massimo CAMPORA, Roberto RASERO, 2004 – A non-invasive test for sex identification in Short-toed Eagle (Circaetus gallicus) // Molecular & Cellular Probes, 18 (3): pp. 193-196. – (En).
• Massimo CAMPORA, Guido CATTANEO, 2005 – Ageing and sexing Short-toed Eagles // British Birds, 98: pp. 370-376. – (En).
Please read the text written by Guido Premuda together with Andrea Corso dedicated to determination of Short-toed Eagle’s age and sex by plumage characters: Il piumaggio del Biancone: età, sesso e morfismo (It) which could be used as a hand book for the field work.
Also the photo and a list of full texts of Premuda’s articles dedicated to Short-toed Eagle can be found here (the source is his own website – Sunbird.it):
• PREMUDA G., 2004 – Prime osservazioni della migrazione primaverile “a circuito” del Biancone, Circaetus gallicus, nelle Alpi Apuane // Rivista Italiana di Ornitologia, 74 (2): 119-124. – (It).
• PREMUDA G., 2004 – Osservazione di un dormitorio di Biancone, Circaetus gallicus, e considerazioni sul piumaggio degli immaturi // Rivista Italiana di Ornitologia, 74(1): 76-80. – (It) (translatable form).
• PREMUDA G., 2004 – La migrazione del Biancone Circaetus gallicus in Italia: stato delle conoscenze attuali. In: Atti del Convegno “Rapaci in volo verso l’Appennino” // Corpo Forestale dello Stato – Gestione ex ASFD di Lucca – Riserva Naturale Statale dell’Orecchiella, 21-24. – (It) (translatable form).
• AGOSTINI N., BAGHINO L., PANUCCIO M., PREMUDA G. & PROVENZA A., 2004 – The autumn migration strategies of adult and juvenile short-toed eagles Circaetus gallicus in the central Mediterranean // Avocetta, 28: 25-28. – (En).
• AGOSTINI N., BAGHINO L., COLEIRO C., CORBI F. & PREMUDA G., 2002 – Circuitous autumn migration in Short-toed Eagle Circaetus gallicus // Journal of Raptor Research., 36(2): 111-114. – (En) (translatable form).