Egidio the adult male Short-toed Eagle has been mentioned on our site since 2013. His chick named Michele in memory of Michele Panuccio was tagged with a transmitter as well in 2019. The young eagle has returned to the region of birth exactly like his father did it in his second calendar year. You can read a story of them on the Inglorious Bustards site:
Posts tagged ‘spring migration’
Three young Short-toed Eagles were tagged with transmitters when they were yet in the nests in Hungary, Montenegro and Italy in 2019. The eagles now are 2cy immature birds, still being tracked and their migration behaviour is of great interest.
- Bese from Duna-Ipoly National Park /map/: details and the tracking map (Hu)(En).
- Kaja from Skadar Lake surroundings /map/: details are available on the Center for Protection and Research of Birds (CZIP) site and their Facebook page (Cnr).
- Michele – chick of Egidio from Regional Park Gallipoli Cognato /map/: details and tracking maps; news on the Medraptors Facebook page and on HoverOverUs (En).
• PREMUDA G., BAGHINO L., GUSTIN M. & BORIONI M., 2010 – Data on spring migration of immature Short-toed Eagles Circaetus gallicus through the Central Mediterranean route (Italy, Tunisia) // Avocetta 34: 65-68. – (En).
• С. В. Домашевский, 2005 – Распространение, численность и миграции змееяда (Circaetus gallicus) в Киевской области [Distribution, numbers and migrations of the Short-toed Eagle in Kiev Region] // Заповідна справа в Україні, 11 (1): 45-49. (Ru).
Some photos of Kiev Region’s Short-toed Eagles and their breeding places:
And a water-colour painting of flying Short-toed Eagle made by an artist Igor Zemlyanskih: