Results of SEO/BirdLife monitoring programme for 2009-2010 is available on the Sociedad Española de Ornitología website – (Es). Census of Short-toed Eagle population in Spain brought new and unexpected data. About 10380 (!) real territories of Short-toed Eagles (pages 28 and 32) were counted. The numbers are much higher than they had been known before.
This is short, but fresh news from GREFA. Old pair of Short-toed Eagles continues to breed in captivity this year in the GREFA Wild Fauna Recovery Centre. They do it regularly during several years, but there is no much information available about each breeding attempt yet.
This is the third time we bring to your attention GREFA and their successes in breeding and following release of Short-toed Eagles.
We would like to point your attention to some news (Es) of GREFA concerning the breeding of Short-toed Eagles in captivity during the season 2007. You can use the search form to find all materials on the species on this site. Such as Nacimiento de un Águila Culebrera en GREFA or Cría de Cernícalo primilla 2007 including before-mentioned.
There are two short notes describing cases of Short-toed Eagles’ successful breeding in captivity in 2006 year on two different sites:
• Reintroducida un Aguila culebrera nacida en cautividad – Enviado por: GREFA el Sabado, 15 de Julio de 2006 – 02:43 CET (Es).
• Un circaète Jean-Le-Blanc nait en captivité – Agence France-Presse; Lourdes, France, Le jeudi 15 juin 2006 (Fr).
This is just selection of links on miscellaneous texts and abstracts of articles about Short-toed Eagles. So…
• Sacchi P, Soglia D, Maione S, Meneguz G, Campora M, Rasero R, 2004 – A non-invasive test for sex identification in short-toed Eagle (Circaetus gallicus) // Mol Cell Probes, Jun 18 (3): 193-6. (En).
• Martin GR, Katzir G, 1999 – Visual fields in Short-toed Eagles, Circaetus gallicus (Accipitridae), and the function of binocularity in birds // Brain Behav Evol, 53 (2): 55-66. (En).
• Rašajski, J. & Vučanović, M., 1999 – Orao zmijar (Circaetus gallicus) nova gnezdarica Vršačkih planina (Sr). Short-toed Eagle (Circaetus gallicus) – a new breeder of Vrsacke Mountains, fourth article with summary (En) (source – Zetna website).
The encyclopaedic compilation of information – (Es) – among other things has extensive ornithological bibliography concerning researching of Short-toed Eagle. The source is a site of the Enciclopedia Virtual de los Vertebrados Españoles.